Why Did the Eclipse Feel So Special?



 Even as a night owl like myself dig an astronomical event now and again. I’ll be honest and say I was just about done hearing about the total eclipse leading up to the event on Monday. Warnings of traffic were in effect, merchandise was being sold left and right, and everyone was buzzing on the subject, but then it actually happened. And it reminded me how simple, yet fascinating natural phenomena in our universe is. 

    So what’s the big deal that so many people not only rejoiced, but seemingly came together for a faint moment for an event that lasted mere minutes?

    First, I can recant what I know - my point of view during Monday afternoon. My band cancelled practice because traffic was expected to be ass, so better to call off than to wait several hours on the highway. So I just passed out as night shift is some of the most exhausting shit. For real, as I currently type this I’m sitting in the grass in my backyard just to get a pube of sunlight because my body’s dying for a sliver of vitamin D. But I digress. Then I got up around 1:40 to relax a little bit with the family. Pops whipped out the eclipse glasses because rawdogging the sun is, as I’m told, “bad for your eyesight.” So we shot the shit for an hour and then… show time. 

    The sun reflected what you’d usually see in the nighttime sky; a crescent, as if to imitate its night time counterpart. Then the total eclipse happened. How beautiful the shadow caking over the land during the day. My God, it was breathtaking. The chill quickly swept in and for a moment I thought I was due for work because I’m used to seeing only the dark during my waking hours. 

    Seeing the moon with a sun halo brought a sense of cosmic beauty and something of a fear in regard to humanity’s place in this vast universe. Both emotions palpable and enveloping. Truly one of the few moments I was taken aback in awe of something so beautiful. During which neighbors were hollering and shooting off fireworks. The celebration was well appropriate in my opinion. And then it was over as soon as it came. I truly can’t wait to see the next one. 

    What’s that? It’ll be in Erie again in 2045? Well, fuck me. 

    In all seriousness, what a grand event it was. So what’s the big deal? Why was there seemingly a moment of peace when we as a people stared at the sky? Personally, I think it’s because we thought it was sweet that the moon gave the sun a little kiss. It was cute. Nah, I think it’s due to the natural curiosity that people have of the cosmos. As many of us can’t really get into physics talk or the nitty gritty of astronomy, when something is awesome and digestible in a simple concept of “THE MOON IS GONNA BLOCK THE SUN,” we as a majority can get behind it. 

    The world is such a horrific, yet infinitely beautiful in its vastness that we’ll never explore all of it ourselves. To throw in our solar system, galaxy, and overall universe in that mix? All people must have some sort of curiosity when it comes to our place and our observance of the Universe. A total eclipse is just a cool happening in our own cosmic backyard, so why shouldn’t we pay attention sometimes? It goes in line with our fascination with sunsets, any of the special moons (Blue, Strawberry, Blood, etc.), and a total eclipse is all the same, but much rarer. 

    Then a funny thing happened afterward. Everyone posted their photos of the eclipse, everyone chimed in on the phenomena, and everyone was talking about it. I think that’s pretty damn cool. For a second we stopped being assholes and looked at the sun for a few minutes. It was great. I can’t remember the last time we as a collective came together for something great and forgot the world around us existed. If anything was comparable, it would be Avenger’s Endgame coming out. But this was a little more meaningful. No politics, no wars, not a species at odds with itself, just the moon passing over the sun. 

    That’s pretty special to me if you ask me. 



    See you on Friday where I’ll be watching Alex Garland’s new film, Civil War! Certainly won’t be a topical debate amongst both sides of the political spectrum. Can we all get together for some good cinema once again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LUNARSONGS (Full Digital Version)

It's My Birthday... Here's a Snippet of My Novella