Dune: Part Two - Review? (Sorta, Not Really)


    What up, weirdos? Think I can see myself using this blog as a space to indulge myself on thoughts I have sitting in my noggin. Self expression and whatnot. So those who wanna hear my drivel can come here! Sound good? Well, you’re still reading aren’t you? Great. 


    
I saw Dune: Part Two in theaters over the weekend. It was an anticipated film on my end as I thought the first installment had great franchise potential and whatnot with Frank Herbert’s Dune novels and Denis Villeneuve’s (and crew) visionary filmmaking. 

    I’ll just spoil my ‘review’ on it as I think just reviewing something is very masturbatory and serves no one but myself, so I just say this: I fucking love this movie. So see it. Immediately. On the biggest screen you can! RIGHT NOW!  In all seriousness, it’s basically everything I want in a sci-fi film. I’d go as far as to say it’s a perfect sci-fi film (at least through my perspective). 

    With that being said, Denis Villeneuve is a figure that very much inspires me as an aspiring writer/filmmaker. I believe he hasn’t made a bad movie, especially the stretch of films from Incendies - currently through Dune: Part Two, that guy has just been delivering hit after hit. So, I was watching this movie regardless, as I very much trust him with delivering a top notch film made with a fine craftsmanship and handled with delicate care. I also was looking forward to a re-entry to the Dune universe (on a mass audience scale) because I assume the general audience is starving for a sci-fi series to pick up Star Wars’ slack; something special, something goddamn weird. 

    Science fiction works for me in one of two categories; hard-usage of science, and a near-fantasy soft-usage of science. A hard science in the sense of the likes of Gravity, The Martian, Ex Machina, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.; films that aim for scientific accuracy and logic. Soft science fiction tend to concern over psychology, sociology, and political sciences. Which the Dune series most definitely fits. So much so, that Frank Herbert wanted to avoid the hard science of machinery used in the Dune universe by having the future set in an almost feudal/medieval way of life (usage of emperors, house factions, swords instead of laser guns). So it’s not too far-fetched to call Dune a fantasy series with a science fiction template. 

    What interests me in the Dune world is the political scheming, the fascinating world of Arrakis, usage of foresight, looking into a bleak future, and the criticism of religion and messianic figures. It’s been interesting a good portion of the general audience interpret the main character, Paul Atreides (or if you’ve seen the movie already, LISAN AL GAIB!) as a hero and what he’s doing as ‘heroic’. It’s because of Dune that I’m reminded why I’m so wary of the manipulation of religion and what its followers are willing to allow to happen, allow themselves to do, to spread its messages. I’m very curious how Dune Messiah will play out. 

    Everything about Dune Part Two just resonates with me. The world building, its core themes, the philosophy, some sick ass sand worm riding. It’s all good stuff. I could knit pick, but that could veer into ‘UM, ACTUALLY’ territory. Long live Denis Villenueve and his mastery on the filmmaking medium. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LUNARSONGS (Full Digital Version)

Why Did the Eclipse Feel So Special?

It's My Birthday... Here's a Snippet of My Novella