FLEDGLING #1: Writing "The Beating Lockbox"

As of now, I'm currently juggling waaaay too many projects than I should be. However, I've finished a handful and take it all one sentence at a time. During the entirety of November, I'll be dedicating a HUGE chunk of my time to a project I won't announce as to not jinx it. (Those writer friends who're connected to all things online writing communities know exactly what I'm talking about.) 

So in the meantime, I thought I'd introduce an interesting reoccurring segment as I crack down on my writing habits. I thought I could take the time to take a peek behind the curtain on a small story I'm working on.. before it's finished. See how my process works. When do I decide to connect dots and cross lines? It's different for all folk, all writers, and every project piece is a little different each time. 

I follow this particular Youtube channel called Tale Foundry. They specify in writing and deconstructing on how certain writers, genres, and writing styles "tick". They've been useful to me on my journey as a 'fledging' writer. (HE SAID THE THING, ROLL CREDITS!) Tale Foundry do a weekly writing prompt to have their community engaging in writing as they do. At the end of each week they gather together for a stream of a reading of the submissions that particular week. 

I've yet to participate in one of these prompts publicly as I'm none too confident on submitting work to complete strangers confidently yet. However! I do get some ideas I latch onto, as I did this week. This week's prompt was: 

THE THINGS LEFT BEHIND 

I quite like that one. I like the idea of things left behind. At a time, I too, felt behind, as I think we all do at one point or another. 

This is the first question to get to the premise of a story as an answer to this particular prompt. 

Q: So what did I leave behind? 

A: All that is left behind is what we keep tucked away in the depths of our hearts. 

This was honestly the first answer that popped up in my head. So where do we go from there? I allowed the creative process to take over and do the one thing that answers, "How do you write a story?" One word at a time. Eventually I got this: 

The Beating Lockbox


"What is a heart but a lockbox in which the key is not guaranteed? With each passing configuration, an attempt to unlock what hides away,  the lockbox dives further than a key may ever reach. What good are the contents when they're careful tucked out of sight? What is a life when we cower from the light and the full potential it possesses than the dark, the voided unknowns we feared as children? The dark will once again show up when we're too weak and fragile to fight off the dying of the light. It'll pluck us from the night. It'll steal that light out from under us. Then it'll tuck us away carefully in a box. This time not a lock, nor a key will be anywhere in sight. So fight. Fight off the dying of the light. Reach for the key that's been tucked away and release what the lock has concealed. Never fear to shine."


BREAKING IT DOWN:


What is a heart but a lockbox in which the key is not guaranteed? With each passing configuration, an attempt to unlock what hides away,  the lockbox dives further than a key may ever reach.


I like to think all people have something that's being repressed. A memory, feelings in general, so we all create a box with a lock to put these things away for what we think is forever. That's not how safes work. They're put away until they're needed again. For safe keeping. What we put away is never truly gone forever, for it stays there until we decide to unlock it.


What good are the contents when they're careful tucked out of sight? What is a life when we cower from the light and the full potential it possesses than the dark, the voided unknowns we feared as children?


We all have ghosts, and ghosts manifest themselves by lies we tell ourselves. This also points out that many people do not fear the dark and lies in them, but the reaching for their fullest potential of what the light provides because to succeed is to embrace many failures. The fear of the unknown lies in both dark and light.


The dark will once again show up when we're too weak and fragile to fight off the dying of the light. It'll pluck us from the night. It'll steal that light out from under us.


The more we struggle with our inner darknesses, the older we get. When we get older, the more tired and complacent we become. The more we put off striving for what we truly want to do, the more our insecurities and true fears and ghostly lies take that light and hope away until it becomes resentment and bitterness.


Then it'll tuck us away carefully in a box. This time not a lock, nor a key will be anywhere in sight. So fight. Fight off the dying of the light. Reach for the key that's been tucked away and release what the lock has concealed. Never fear to shine.


Embrace what you want to do, dammit! Being to yourself and taking the uncomfortable steps towards change is fucking beautiful! A key to lock is always existent. A key is not something to put away. It may be in a secret spot, but it's always there, waiting to unlock that certain keyhole it was meant for. It's never too late to undo what has been rotting in the dark. Embrace the light.




Keep in mind this is all completely unedited. It's definitely a start. See how there are no characters? No narrative? This is all just a start, and I have ideas bubbling as to how this story could play out. The follow up article, as fledging is concerned, is a more finished and cleaned up story. I'll even breakdown how I outline and become comfortable with a story I'm wanting to tell. Keep an eye out for it! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LUNARSONGS (Full Digital Version)

Why Did the Eclipse Feel So Special?

It's My Birthday... Here's a Snippet of My Novella